Saturday, June 7, 2014

PAINT!!!! or running around the yard in a diaper.

Has anyone else seen this picture? I have no idea where it came from, but I've seen it on Facebook and Pinterest. I saw a post a while back with a mom who tried a bunch of different home made paints but this one wasn't on her site for review. I thought why not tonight.  I was working on a project that took a lot more time and effort. You know when you get an idea in your head and it seems like you can bust it out in a night but ends up taking all day working on it piece by piece. Come back tomorrow because it should be good. Any ways...Here is todays project. Make a paint for my two year old.
 
I first gathered everything from my kitchen, which wasn't hard. Although it takes a lot more salt then it seems. I now have to go to the store tomorrow and buy some more, I luckily had just enough.
It was very thick. I don't think it would come out of those ketchup bottles easily. It kind of reminded me of pancake mix that needed a little more water added. So that is what I did.

 
I put a good side glop (is that even a word?) in a small dish, and added a little water. I didn't measure this; I think it really depends on how runny you want the paint. Once I found a consistency I liked I added my food coloring. This is suppose to be green but I used neon food coloring. I could of added more but didn't since this was just a test. I also made pink and purple which turned out much better in color. I don't know how that picture got such bright colors. Maybe I needed to use half a bottle of food coloring? Not sure about all that.

 
I put the paint on a paper plate. Next time I would like to put it in bowls because I added too much water making the paint runny. That is what I was going for really, but didn't think about them mixing together on the plate (DUHH!). This is my daughter below getting ready. She has been bugging me all day to paint and once I get it ready I have to show her how (she knows how by the way). Hence the Joy on the page.



 
As you can see it isn't as bright or thick, when put on the paper, as store bought paint. The texture was really weird too. I don't know if I didn't mix it up good enough or what. My little guy was screaming while hanging on to my pants and she was screaming to paint so I was in a bit of a hurry. The texture was gritty, despite the texture, it went on the paper nicely. I had my daughter use one of those cheap foam brushes, so I don't know how it would work with a regular paint brush. It should be fine though.

 
I'd like to say this is my daughters work but it's mine. She mainly ran around the yard dripping paint everywhere. Oh the excitement of running around in nothing but a diaper!!!! After it dried (which didn't take long) it still had the grit texture. I thought it was pretty though. My dad named it "Mothers day out with a little bit of puke and poop". Which kind of makes sense I guess, all that pink with yellowish in it. (ew!!) Think I could frame it and put it on Etsy and sale it? huh huh huh any takers? 
 
Pros: This paint is amazing if you want to whip up something fast. It makes a nice size batch of paint, which would be good if you have multiple kids using it. I like how you can choose the thickness of the paint. I also like that the paint isn't so thick that it turns the corners of paper up (yes I've made paint that even curled card stock).
Cons: I didn't like the texture, it was odd if you are using it to finger paint. Maybe good for sensory play. I was disappointed in the coloring of it. The bottles in the picture make it seem so much more vibrant, you could always add more food coloring though.
 
I hope you liked!! Let me know!
~Megan~


 

No comments:

Post a Comment