Sunday, June 8, 2014

Cutting glass...or something like that.

 
So I've seen this done a few different ways. Some people have used lighter fluid and others used a type of polish remover. Honestly I think it will work with any flammable liquid. I recruited my brave husband for this project. I don't like fire nor do I like the idea of glass shattering in my hand. Plus I didn't want to get my hands in the chemical due to having to keep the kids busy while we did this.
 
First he tied a twine type string around the bottle to see how much he needed. I've seen posts where people use yarn, once again, I think any type of string that will burn would work. He wanted to use fishing string (all things fishing in his mind) but I knew it would probably melt instead of get hot enough and burn.

 
Once we got the right length of string we put it in lighter fluid. We also let it set in the liquid (picture below) not knowing how long to really let it set. As long as there is enough lighter fluid to burn for a minute it is fine, it shouldn't need to sit longer then about two minutes.

 
After it's soaked be sure to cut the extra string off. At first I didn't think this was important, until I saw it was touching the bottle, which will result in more cracks then you want.

 
Once the string is wet, put it on the bottle where you want the crack to be. I have to admit this part is tricky for a few reasons. One the twine was not as stiff so it moved more and two it's hard to get a straight even line period. My brave husband (I say brave because he lit this thing on fire while his hands were covered in lighter fluid) put a lighter to the string.

 
You don't want the fire to burn so long that the string falls apart and off. Once we stopped seeing flames we put the bottle directly in cold water. As you can see, holding the end of the bottle doesn't affect you, my husband didn't even flinch. It makes a crack sound and boom your bottle is cut in half.

 
The first few times we tried this it didn't work. The extra part of the string touched the bottle and we didn't put it in cold water. Both of those factors are vital in making this work. The olive oil bottle is A LOT thicker then the beer bottle. In this case just twist string together to make it thicker, or use a thicker  type of string. It worked like a charm!! It took a few tries to get this down but once it's figured out, it's easy. You'll want to cut every glass bottle you could of thrown away.
 
Pros: This is a super easy project once you get the hang of it, and you probably DO have the items you need to do this. My favorite part is how neat it is, hardly any mess at all.
 
Cons: HOW THE HECK DO THEY GET IT STRAIGHT?? I don't know. We will soon be making a trip to our local Ace Hardware to get some type of file to shave the sharp edges. And on that note, the edge WILL be sharp and most likely uneven like ours. If you figure out a way to get a clean cut that doesn't need to be filed, please let me know.
 
Hope you liked! It was fun for us!
~Megan~






No comments:

Post a Comment