Thursday, August 7, 2014

DIY Photo Prop



Ok, so my kids have been sick, and I haven't been feeling well. After all that, my internet wasn't working. Sorry for not posting in so terribly long.

During all the craziness, I took pictures of my good friends little boy. He's turning one!!! How exciting right? When my daughter turned one I made the mistake of paying for pictures being done. I love photography and is something I do on the side and after I saw the price tag, I said never again!

BUT...they had this cute little cube that had numbers on it, used to tell the kids age (duh)! I have the picture with my daughter sitting on one in my living room and decided I was going to find a VERY cheap way to make one that I could use for my friends pictures (and my son here in a few months)

I started with a box. The picture I show isn't the box I used but it's square and gets the point across. If you're buying diapers (like me), those work great only if it's the small boxes (other wise you'll have a rectangle and I don't know how well that would look).

 
 
I used scrape book paper to cover the box. You could do this multiple ways.....
 
1-scrape book paper or any other kind of paper
2-white wrapping paper and wrap it like a present (my wrapping skills aren't very good)
3-skip the paper all together (paint box white first)
 
I stuck the paper to the box using Mod Podge. I just wanted to use that to be honest, I love that stuff. But you could use hot glue, regular glue, or tape maybe.
 

Once I had my paper on there all neat like (hahaha see those air bubbles?) I used a ruler and traced the 'inside square' part. I later freehanded the E, but you can use tracing paper, vinyl stickers, or one of those fancy cricket things.

Back to the air bubbles, they didn't show up in my pictures, much. If you're going to do super close up pictures it might matter but it's up to you on what you want to do about them. Photo shop anyone?

hmmm..maybe too much Mod Podge was the problem, I've been known to get carried away with that stuff.

I freehanded painting the edging, but you can use painter tape. I did try it on one side just to see, and it worked as long as you took it off while the paint was still wet. I used acrylic paint, because that's what I had on hand (and it's only $.50 at Wal-Mart).

It turned out really well and I can't wait to do one for my little man when he turns one!!

Here is a picture of my friends adorable baby boy.



As you can see, my box was even strong enough for him to sit on. Just be careful with that!! If that's what you're aiming for, you could always try to make the box stronger with sticks or something. I'm sure you could look around and find something!








No comments:

Post a Comment