Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Faux Baby Vest Tutorial For Beginners



I love this idea, and since I'm learning to sew I thought I would give it a try. I found this great tutorial, but I didn't care so much for it. It is a GREAT page to teach you how to draw the pattern.
I don't like how she uses two pieces of fabric for one side of the vest, it seemed to bulky. If you are doing a toddler shirt, it wouldn't be bad. Might of been easier if I have an iron maybe. I thought I would find an easier way to make one and I did.

I followed her directions, but before I went cutting any fabric, I cut paper. Once I got something that would fit, I drew it on the camo fabric I was using. The pink line is what will be seen, the blue line gives me sem allowance
 
 
Once I cut it, I folded the sides and made sure my fold line was on the pink line. You should probably iron it at this point but I don't own an iron (crazy since I sew but true) so I just pinned everything.
 
As long as you hold it tight when you sew, it shouldn't be as loose and wrinkly as it is here.
 
 
This is how it looked after I sewed it. In this picture, you can see I cut and allowed myself more sew room, but it's easy to cut. If you do the 1/4 inch thing, you shouldn't have to cut. Unless you want to of course.
 
 
After it was cut!
 
Now, I couldn't get my fabric to round nicely like the lady does in the tutorial, so I cut a little bit where I needed and folded it over like so. You can also see I made this a little too big, so when I sewed it on the onesie, I just pinned this over a tad more to make things more even.
 
 
I pinned the vest to the onesie, I would recommend starting at the side sem line. The Gerber onesie stretches a lot and easily so be careful not to over stretch thing, or it won't sew evenly and make wrinkles.
 
After both sides are sewn on you're done. This is my underside! I show you this incase it happens to you. The two vest met at the thickest points and the machine didn't want to push it through. It was weird but I simply put to a few stitches (then back stitch and stitch again) at the top and bottom.
 
Since I didn't sew the whole line it created this...
 
 
Which isn't a problem as long as you sew buttons on (yes, I will be adding some to mine, maybe orange?).
 
 
 
TADA!!!!! My baby vest onesie!!! I'm super excited about this, if you can't tell! It took a lot of practice, and if you're new at sewing I would recommend doing this on a Carter onesie. The Gerber onesies have a lot of flex which can make it difficult when putting it through the machine. I messed up on two of them and when you rip the thread out, it tears. I don't know why, but it does; any suggestions on how to make this easier would be awesome.
 
If you can't get the vest pieces on evenly (because of error cutting and drawing) you can always draw the pattern on the onesie. I know they make special 'fabric pins' that wash off, but I always use plain Crayola markers. They wash out of cloths and are cheap.
 
I hope you like!!!!! If you have any tips that might make this easier, I'd love to know because I plan to make these for every little baby boy I know.
 
 


.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment