Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Hot Glue VS Mod Podge


I saw these leaf candle holders and fell in love with them. I'm not one to decorate my house according to the seasons (because my kids would just take it down and probably ruin it) but I couldn't resist this one.

When I saw it on Pinterest, it said to use Mod Podge. It also said you could use real or fake leaves. I found a bag of 50 at Dollar Tree and snagged them up!! I don't know how either of these would work on real leaves. I would suggest using freshly fallen ones, because once they get dry they would probably crumble when trying to use them. I also don't think real ones would work if you are wanting to make something to last more than one year.

MOD PODGE!!
 
I simply put a nice layer of Mod Podge on the glass jar, and started layering leaves on it. I had to completely cover all the leaves in a layer of Mod Podge due to some leaking around the edges. It made the leaves glossy looking and more fake then they already were. The Mod Podge also didn't dry fast enough which meant the leaves would move around and not stick very well until it dried. I had to put this together through out a day in order to get it covered. Just took too long and looked too fake.
 
 
You can try this if you want but I wanted something faster. If you use real leaves, it might work better at sealing them.
 
HOT GLUE!!!!
 
Sounds crazy, but I just recently got a hot glue gun and was super eager to try it out. I thought this would be the perfect project.  I got my jar and leaves laid out and ready to go!!
 
 
The leaves I used were thin and made with a silk material. Use the SMALLEST amount of hot glue possible, other wise it will seep through the material and stick to your fingers. Just the smallest dot will do. I started by putting it on one point and placing that on the jar. The glue dries fast so know were you want to put it. Once it was on the jar I added dots to the other ends and stuck them to the jar also. It went by pretty fast and even better since the glue dried almost instantly.
 
 
When I was all done, I had a problem. The bottom wouldn't sit evenly due to ends of leaves. On the Mod Podge one I stick them to the bottom, but it still kind of rocks and doesn't sit flat. If you plan to put a candle in, that is an important part. On the hot glue one I decided to just cut and make it as even as possible without it looking like I cut it once in the sitting position.
 
 
 
I loved this and plan to make candles with them (rather than put a tea light in it). Here are my two side by side.
 
 
As you can tell the hot glue one is less shiny looking and I liked it better!! Hope you enjoy trying to make your own!!
 
God Bless!

 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment